In this digital age, ‘convenience’ has firmly established itself as a decisive factor in the minds of consumers and potential customers. A major factor in consumer decision making, industries across the market have innovated and adapted to offer the benefit of added convenience to the public. The dental industry is no different. The development of easy-to-use and effective oral care products in the early 21st century has gone hand in hand with the rise of e-commerce platforms. Today, getting dental products delivered to your doorstep is easier than ever before.
What is Home Dental Care?
As the term suggests, home dental care allows people to take better care of their teeth at home, through affordable, easy to use devices and tools that can be purchased online.
Home Dental Care Tools Include –
- Teeth Whitening Kits
- Electric Toothbrushes
- Breath Fresheners
- Dental Floss Kits
These products are created keeping practicality in mind. They can be used quickly, efficiently and provide noticeable results while eliminating the user’s need for assistance, as the products can be self-applied. However, there are two sides to this particular trend.
The Benefits of Dental Care at Home
A positive change brought about by the trend is the added focus and spotlight on the importance of dental hygiene. Surveys by the American Dental Association (ADA) show that while a healthy 85 percent of the population believes in the importance of oral hygiene, only a paltry 43 percent of American actually visited dentists. Further studies reveal that though children across the country avail dental services regularly, the same cannot be said of millennials and the youth.
Evidence indicates that the prevalent awareness levels do not necessarily translate to regular visits to the dentist. In this case, dental care at home is a revolutionary trend. It has simplified maintenance of proper dental health while reducing the effort and time involved.
The advantages of dental care at home include-
- Dental care at home is extremely efficient. It saves people considerable time and effort by eliminating the need to book a dentist appointment and visit a clinic.
- Helps develop good oral hygiene habits. This is especially important for the new generation of Americans. The easy to use and convenient devices are particularly useful for millennials, among whom dental hygiene standards have dropped.
- Places a certain amount of responsibility for maintaining dental hygiene on the shoulders of the users. A common trend visible in the American population is over-dependance on the dentist. A dentist cannot magically repair the damage caused by the customers’ failure to practice good dental health habits.
- Home dental care has become increasingly affordable. Electric toothbrushes are an ideal example. While a manual toothbrush must be discarded and replaced every three months, an electric toothbrush lasts for two and a half to three years.
Drawbacks of the Dental Care at Home Trend
While home dental care products have revolutionized oral hygiene, it is vital that these devices and tools are used in the right way. Improper use does more harm than good and can cause damage to teeth and gums. There is a tendency to overuse these tools in the hope of quick results. This leads to users ignoring the specified directions of usage as well as recommendations and guidelines laid out by dentists.
The Disadvantages of Home Dental Care Include
- It is essential to remember that home dental care products such as teeth whitening strips and gels are designed for improving the appearance of teeth. Home dental care products do not offer the same deep cleansing as a dentist does.
- Dental care at home is not a replacement for the dentist. It is common for home dental care product users to reduce the frequency of their visits to the dentist. Do not substitute home dental care for professional medical treatment.
- Home dental care products such as gels, whitening strips and LED cleaning devices are typically meant for short-term use. Using these devices too frequently leads to hypersensitivity and corrosive damage to teeth over long periods of time.
As technology advances, dental care at home will continue to develop and improve. The trend is here to stay but it is up to us to adapt to and use it in the proper manner, in order to avail its remarkable and numerous benefits to the full extent.